Synthetic wigs can offer you the freedom of choice when it comes to styling your hair. Go could easily go from short to curly or long hair at a moment’s notice, but you do need to take extra care of your synthetic wig in order for it to appear luscious, radiant and full of volume. Even the most expensive synthetic wig will look dull and damaged if you don’t take care of it, so here are a couple of tips on how to maintain a synthetic wig.
De-tangle it between uses
Before you start using your wig, make sure it’s been thoroughly de-tangled. When taking it off, give it a quick comb to ensure it’s not tangled before you store it, and make sure you’re not just throwing it into a bag or cupboard. Light brushing is all you need to remove any tangles, and you’ll probably want to use a comb with wide teeth. Remember to be gentle and don’t pull on the fibres.
Wash it every two to four weeks
Depending on how often you wear your synthetic wig, you’ll want to wash it every two to four weeks. Here are some simple steps to help you clean your synthetic wig:
- Always use cold water, not hot! Hot water can damage the fibres beyond repair. If you’re not comfortable with cold water, then lukewarm can be fine as well.
- Use a bit of shampoo but don’t clean it like you would your regular hair. Instead, mix it into the water to form a solution and gently rub the fibres.
- Soak the wig in the water for a few minutes before rinsing it off. Don’t scrub it with any tools–just let the water and shampoo to the work.
- Use cold water to rinse off the shampoo and don’t wring it like a cloth.
- Finish with some conditioner, making sure to leave it in for up to 5 minutes before rinsing it off and allowing it to air dry. You can speed up the process by patting off the water.
If you don’t plan to wear it for a long period of time, make sure you store it in a dry and clean place.
Styling the synthetic wig
If you want to style the wig or help it retain a certain shape, make sure you do so after cleaning it and giving it some time to try. Place the wig over a stand and style it once it’s completely dry. Don’t use a hairdryer as, once again, the heat can easily damage and warp the fibres. You can also purchase a wig brush which is specifically made for synthetic wigs.
If you’d like to learn more about synthetic wigs, don’t hesitate to contact our specialists today at Hair Gallery Hobart for more tips and information about wigs.